Software & Apps
• Apple iMovie
LANSING STATE JOURNAL • Lansing, Mich.
State government reporter • September 2012 - November 2013
• Wrote daily and investigative stories on the Michigan Legislature and 18 state departments with an
emphasis on government accountability, transparency and issues affecting 50,000 state workers.
• Frequently contributed to the Detroit Free Press and other Gannett Co. publications.
• Routinely complemented articles with video, social media and interactive graphics and timelines.
• Created spreadsheets using information from public documents and analyzed data for trends and
insights on state government operations, including how tax dollars are spent.
• Served as the lead reporter in the State Journal’s award-winning coverage of the passage of
right-to-work legislation and accompanying protests at the Michigan Capitol in December 2012.
• Received employee-of-the-month honors in December 2012 and August 2013.
• Social media engagement
• Search engine optimization
• Record/edit video and audio
• Digital investigations
• Use of public records
• Data and spreadsheet analysis
THE STATE NEWS • East Lansing, Mich. • Editor in Chief • spring 2009
• Previously, a news reporter and copy editor for five semesters, beginning as an incoming freshman.
THE OKLAHOMAN • Oklahoma City, Okla. • City news intern • summer 2008
NEWSDAY • Melville, N.Y. • Congressional news intern, Washington, D.C. bureau • spring 2008
• Arranged through the Washington Center for Politics & Journalism semester program.
Michigan State University • East Lansing, Mich. • August 2005 - August 2009
Journalism Bachelor of Arts
• With honors, minor in history
Political science and pre-law Bachelor of Arts
John Cabot University, semester abroad • Rome, Italy • August 2007 - December 2007
• Studied political science, law, history and arts and humanities using on-site locations in and
THE FORUM OF FARGO-MOORHEAD • Fargo, N.D.
Government and politics reporter • August 2009 - September 2012 (Intern: May-July 2007)
• Covered North Dakota and Minnesota congressional delegations and federal politics and
government issues - as well as the cities of Fargo and West Fargo, Cass County (N.D.) and
U.S. District Court.
• Also responsible for news coverage and weekly analysis involving Fargo-Moorhead leaders’ push
for permanent flood protection and rural opposition to a Red River diversion.
• Wrote federal politics blog, “Flickertales from The Hill,” with original content and analysis,
including video features.
• Led campaign coverage for North Dakota’s U.S. House and Senate races in 2010 and most of 2012.
• Assisted in covering 2010 and 2011 record-level flooding in Fargo-Moorhead.
• Contributed to WDAY AM-970 news programming.
THE PALM BEACH POST • West Palm Beach, Fla.
Community reporter • February 2014 - July 2015
• Reported daily and in-depth news about the village of Wellington and other west-central Palm
Beach County towns, including government, economic development, business and feature stories.
• Used public records to uncover and investigate questionable acts by elected officials.
• Responsible for increasing digital audience and reader engagement through SEO, social media and
online-only content, including blog posts, videos and interactives.
MIAMI HERALD • Tallahassee, Fla.
State government reporter • September 2015 - Present
• Report on the Florida Legislature and state government and politics in the Herald's and Tampa Bay
Times' shared Capitol bureau — focusing on education, guns, immigration and criminal justice policy.
• Analyze complex legislation, investigate the motivations and impacts of it and report findings to a
general audience through stories, blogs, videos and social media posts.
• Served as a lead reporter in the Herald/Times’ 2016 team coverage of Florida’s nationally watched
U.S. Senate race, with focus on Democratic candidates — tasks for which included: writing policy
analyses, candidate profiles and investigations into candidate backgrounds and campaign claims.
• Responsible for writing frequent blog posts, shooting and editing online video and growing digital
audience for state government and political news through use of SEO and social media.